Chiswick’s Car Free Friday At St Mary’s
St Mary’s RC Primary School in Chiswick is pioneering a new car free friday scheme aimed at encouraging parents and children to walk to school or use public transport.
Created by the team that has formed Chiswick Oasis, car free friday offers children a reward by giving them a house point and also enters parents into a draw to win prizes donated by local businesses.
Founder of Chiswick Oasis, Andrea Carnevali was delighted with the response to the first event which was also supported by Chiswick Councillor Ron Mushiso.
Lorna Ko took a brisk walk to catch up with Andrea, Ron and the parents and children at St Mary’s.
The Chiswick Oasis project has had many achievements since launching last year. Andrea Carnevali commented:
“These are just some of the things we were able to achieve in just a few months.
– We raised over £90,000 for the creation of a green wall along the perimeter of the school
– We’ve been heavily featured on some of most important media outlets (TV and newspapers)
– We received personal endorsements from celebrities like Emma Thompson, David Dimbleby, Simon Schama, Jeremy Paxman, Claudia Winkleman, etc..
– We were awarded £32,000 from the Mayor of London as “one of the best civic initiatives of 2018”
– We signed partnerships with ARUP, Enjoy Work at the Chiswick Business Park, Swarovski and Porsche among others: they’re helping us making this a success story for our schools so that we can make them models for others to follow.
– I was also personally awarded last week for outstanding contribution to the community by the Hounslow Council
Finally, we now have a date for our big launch: the 29th of June.
There will be food, drinks and games, music, comedians and we’ll be able to showcase our full project to all the media, celebrities and sponsors who have been supporting us”
You can read more at https://www.chiswickoasis.com